New Mexico Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Accident Victims in Deming
Founded in 1881, the city of Deming in Luna County, New Mexico was incorporated in 1902. Deming is situated sixty miles west of Las Cruces and is only thirty three miles north of the Mexican border.
Deming has a long history of being a gateway for imports and exports across the continent. It was named after the wife of Charles Crocker who was one of the major players in the 19th century railroad industry. Caruso is the only major stop on the I-10 between Las Cruces and Lordsburg, and it provides access to Chihuahua, Mexico. It also straddles one of the major railroad lines which link the East Coast to the West Coast.
Trucks Connecting All of North America
Semi-trucks and 18-wheelers are necessary to transport goods across our continent. Unfortunately, semi-truck accidents are amongst the worst types of accidents to happen on our highways simply because of the weight and the speed which these vehicles travel.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
- The number of injury crashes involving large trucks was 77,000 in 2012
- The number of fatal crashes involving large trucks was 3,802 in 2012
- The number of vehicle miles (VMT) traveled by large trucks between 2011 to 2012 increased by 0.3%
The US Department of Transportation calculated that in New Mexico the number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes was 39, accounting for 8.3% percentage of all fatal vehicle crashes in our state that year.
Speed Not the Only Factor
Speed is only one of the many factors which may lead to a semi-truck accident. Some other reasons why these accidents occur is because:
- The driver was not focused on driving (this may be due to exhaustion, being distracted, or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- The truck company was not properly maintaining the truck, or was taking short cuts on maintenance (the most common short cuts taken include the brake system, the steering, the tires, lights and indicator lights)
- The truck has a hidden defect or has been fitted with defective parts
Should you be injured in an accident involving a truck, one or more parties may be accountable for the injuries you have suffered and you may be eligible to receive compensation for those injuries. If you are unable to come to us, our personal injury attorneys will travel to wherever you are in New Mexico for a free consultation to discuss your claim.