Lovington Truck Accident Lawyers
You do not have to be an expert in trucking to know that semis, 18-wheelers, and other large rigs can cause massive damage and destruction in a truck accident. The New Mexico Department of Transportation confirms the severe nature of these crashes, pointing out how heavy trucks are disproportionately represented in fatal collisions. While they are involved in just 5.7 percent of all motor vehicle accidents, truck crashes account for more than 15 percent of all traffic-related deaths. Victims who do survive are left with devastating losses related to serious, catastrophic injuries.
Fortunately, you do have legal options under New Mexico law, through which you can obtain compensation for your losses. Because the process is even more complex than other crash claims, it is wise to trust our team at Caruso Law Offices, P.C. for assistance. We possess the experience and skills necessary to fight for your rights, so please contact our office to set up a no-cost case evaluation. One of our Lovington truck accident attorneys can provide details, but an overview of the legal concepts may be helpful.
Common Causes of Truck Collisions in New Mexico
While there are many factors that cause or contribute to truck crashes, the underlying reason these incidents happen is operator carelessness. In the practice of law, this concept of liability is termed negligence. To recover compensation, you need to prove that the accident was the direct result of the truck driver’s failure to exercise reasonable care behind the wheel. Often, this breach of duty is similar to driver misconduct in other types of accidents. Examples include speeding, driving while intoxicated, running red lights, texting and driving, and other dangerous acts.
In addition, there are some forms of negligence that are unique to truck accidents. These incidents can be caused by:
- Improper loading of cargo onto the trailer;
- Failure to make inspections of the rig;
- Neglect in conducting regular maintenance and repairs;
- Defects in the truck, or its systems, parts, and components; and
- Negligent training or hiring.
Seeking Compensation for Your Losses
Like other motor vehicle accidents, your first step in the legal process is filing an insurance claim. In some cases, you can reach an agreement to settle, but insurers are often unwilling to pay fair, reasonable compensation for your losses. The company is looking out for its own financial interests, not yours. As a result, you may need to initiate litigation to get the monetary damages you deserve. You may be entitled to obtain amounts for such losses as:
- Your medical costs;
- Lost wages, if you were not able to work because of your truck accident injuries;
- Future earning capacity, when your injuries impact your business opportunities;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Scarring and disfigurement;
- Lost quality of life from not being able to enjoy your favorite activities; and
- Losses based upon how your injuries affect your personal relationships.
If someone close to you died in a truck collision, you may qualify to recover compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Factors That Complicate Truck Accident Claims
Besides the challenges you face in dealing with an insurance company, there are also issues that make truck collisions far more complex than other accidents. Our Lovington truck accident lawyers at Caruso Law Offices, P.C. are prepared to help overcome legal hurdles related to:
- Severe Injuries: Because trucks are so much larger than passenger vehicles, injuries to victims can be catastrophic, life-threatening, and permanently disabling. The severity of the trauma affects your medical bills as described below, but it also could lead to pain, suffering, and chronic medical complications in the long term.
- Skyrocketing Medical Costs: With more serious injuries come much higher medical costs for treatment, including surgery, emergency care, hospitalization, and long-term rehabilitation. Our team strives to ensure you obtain sufficient compensation to handle your needs now and in the future.
- Truck Insurance Coverage: Trucks are required to carry insurance policies that range from $750,00 to millions in coverage. When the stakes and risks are high, insurers assign truck collision claims to their most experienced employees whose goal is to pay out as little as possible.
Consult with Our Lovington Truck Accident Lawyers for Free
As you can see from the above description, there are considerable challenges involved with pursuing a truck crash claim in New Mexico. Instead of struggling through the process on your own and putting your rights at risk, allow our team at Caruso Law Offices, P.C. to advocate on your behalf. To set up a free consultation with a Lovington truck accident attorney, please contact us or call (505) 883-5000. We represent victims throughout Bernalillo, Valencia, Sandoval, Torrance, and Santa Fe Counties from our offices in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.
I want to thank the Caruso Law Firm and all their kind, courteous staff! I couldn’t be more pleased with their service. I really appreciate all you have done to help my case.
C. Saller, Albuquerque
Call to arrange a no-pressure confidential and FREE consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in Albuquerque
Our New Mexico personal injury lawyers are aggressive, result-focused advocates for injured victims. Your free consultation is always with an attorney, not a paralegal. We handle motor vehicle cases throughout the entire state of New Mexico and all pueblos and reservations in New Mexico.
Get a free consultation by phone, at our office, your home, the hospital or other location. We travel the state representing clients, so we can meet you anywhere in New Mexico.