Personal Injuries from a Truck Hitch Failure in a New Mexico Trucking Accident
Trucking accidents occur every day due to a number of factors. One common cause of trucking accidents is a truck hitch failure. Truck hitch failure leading to trucking accidents can be quite catastrophic. Additionally, this type of accident is often preventable. If you or your loved one was injured in a trucking accident that was caused by a truck hitch failure, we encourage you to contact our experienced truck hitch failure attorneys today who can work with you to review your case to determine if you are eligible for compensation for your injuries.
Purpose of a Truck Hitch
The truck’s hitch is a device that is used to pull the trailer of the truck. The hitch is located on the back of the truck cab. If the hitch is not properly secured, the trailer can disconnect from the truck, potentially leading to a serious accident.
Common Causes of Truck Hitch Failures
There are many reasons as to why a truck hitch may fail. These reasons include the following:
- Failure to secure the truck hitch due to carelessness, lack of experience, or lack of training
- Cracked or rusted latches
- Faulty latches
- Failure to repair or replace trailer hitches regularly
- Dangerous maneuvers causing the truck to jackknife
- Overloading of the trailer
- Defective trailer coupler or tongue
- Failure to use safety chains
- The mechanism that locks the hitch is loose
- Other causes of faulty trailer hitches
- Failure to use the right size safety chains
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Brake malfunction
Who is Responsible For Maintaining a Trailer Hitch?
There are many people who are responsible for maintaining a semi-tractor trailer’s hitch. Depending on the cause of the trailer hitch failure, the following parties may be responsible for a trailer hitch failure:
- Truck driver (i.e. failing to properly secure the hitch, failure to operate the truck safely)
- Mechanics and repair shops working on the truck
- Commercial trucking companies
- Cargo loaders
- Road maintenance crews
- Manufacturers of the hitch
Why Should You Contact a Trucking Accident Lawyer?
While you may think that you can contact any lawyer when you’ve been injured in trucking accident involving a hitch failure, it is wise if you work with an experienced trucking accident lawyer as trucking accident lawyers are familiar with the mechanics of trucks, federal regulations for truck drivers and trucking companies, and know what compensation is appropriate for victims injured in a trucking accident caused by a hitch failure.
Damages for Individuals Injured in a Trailer Hitch Failure Trucking Accident
Victims injured in a trailer hitch failure trucking accident may be eligible for compensation for their injuries. Damages victims may be eligible for include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Emotional distress
- Other indications of damages for victims injured in a trucking accident involving trailer hitch failure
Truck Hitch Failure Cases Should Be Handled by Our Lawyer
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a New Mexico trucking accident involving a truck hitch failure from a big rig or tractor trailer, ask our experienced 18 wheeler wreck lawyers how we can help protect your rights to compensation. At the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., we offer free case evaluations and only get our attorney’s fees paid if we recover compensation for you in a settlement or verdict.
Learn how we can help you during a FREE consultation by dialing (505) 883-5000. We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 883-5000 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.