Families of Victims Killed in New Mexico Trucking Crashes Can Learn Their Rights Below
As a New Mexico driver, you have likely shared the road many times with large commercial trucks that have the potential to be over 65 feet long and weigh over 86,000 pounds. Some of the most dangerous New Mexico trucking accidents involve commercial trucks and smaller vehicles in light of the drastic size disparity of the two vehicles. These sorts of vehicular crashes can possibly form the basis of a lawsuit for the wrongful death of a close family member.
Here at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys, our attorneys understand that no amount of money can ease the pain of losing a loved one in a fatal New Mexico trucking accident. However, if this accident was caused by the truck driver’s reckless, careless, or negligent driving practices, or if the owner of the truck failed to properly maintain the vehicle, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim against them. Our lawyers will advocate for you and your loved ones to not only ease the financial burden of the accident, but also to protect other New Mexico residents from negligent truck drivers on the road.
Potential Compensation in a Fatal New Mexico Trucking Accident
It is important to have an idea moving forward of what a truck accident claim will look like. It is not simply just your loved one’s estate versus a negligent driver. These truck drivers are supported by both the company that they work for and the legal team it has employed. However, this is not something to be intimidated by. To be successful in a wrongful death trucking accident claim, it must be proven that the truck driver’s negligence or recklessness caused the fatal accident.
Successful truck accident claims may lead to a damages award including some or all of the following:
- Conscious pain and suffering of your loved one;
- Emotional pain and suffering for you and your family, in certain circumstances, from your loved one’s loss;
- Funeral expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Lost earnings and income from your loved one;
- Punitive damages: punitive damages go beyond typical injury compensation, as they exist to essentially punish defendants for their illegal conduct, but are not always appropriate;
- Medical costs: the cost of failed life saving treatments may be high, particularly if they include surgical costs; and
- Loss of consortium: these are special damages in tort cases for surviving family members. When calculating a loss of consortium award, courts will generally take into account a survivor’s loss of support, loss of services, and loss of a marriage relationship.
Families Who Lost a Loved One Should Call the Compassionate Trucking Accident Lawyers at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys
Initially, a lawsuit may be the furthest thing from your mind as you focus on grieving and important family matters. However, filing a wrongful death claim may help give you financial stability for lost wages and earnings so you can focus on your emotional recovery. Additionally, a successful truck accident claim can not only compensate you financially, but also to keep dangerous truck drivers off the roads.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, call the experienced New Mexico truck accident attorneys at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys today by dialing (505) 883-5000 You can also contact us on our website through the easy to use and convenient Contact box located by clicking here.