Albuquerque Bicycle Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries or Death
Many people ride bicycles on a daily basis. Whether to commute to work, for exercise, or for pure leisure, more and more people are taking to the roads on bicycles. However, roadways are also becoming more and more crowded due to the increasing number of motor vehicles on the roadways. This also increases the risk of a collision between a motor vehicle driver and a bicyclist. There are many laudable initiates such as the share the road program to bring awareness to this growing issue.
But bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles will still happen. And they are dangerous. Bicyclists, like motorcyclists, are without the protections of other motor vehicles such as airbags, seat belts, or even just the basic metal shell of other vehicles. Bicyclists are also smaller in profile and more difficult to spot, particularly during inclement weather or at night. When there is a bicycle accident with another motor vehicle, it is very likely that the bicyclists will suffer serious personal injuries or death.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, please contact the experienced bicycle accident attorneys at the Mark Caruso for a FREE consultations by calling (505) 883-5000. We have handled many motor vehicle and bicycle accidents, and understand how to protect your rights to get you the compensation you may be entitled to.
Common Causes of Albuquerque Bicycle Accidents
There are several common causes of bicycle accidents with motor vehicles, most of them are preventable and thus caused by negligence. Some common causes of bicycle accidents include the following:
- Failure to check mirrors before turning;
- Failure to yield to bicyclist;
- Failure to see bicyclist on roadway due to small size;
- Difficulty gauging the speed and distance of a bicyclist;
- Running a stop sign or red light;
- Speeding and unable to stop in time;
- Following a bicyclist too closely;
- Failing to provide enough space between the motor vehicle and the bicyclist when overtaking;
- Pulling out of a driveway without checking both sides for a bicyclists; and
- Many other causes.
Common Injuries Caused in a Albuquerque Bicycle Accident
Due to the inherent lack of safety protections, bicycle accidents with motor vehicles almost always cause serious personal injuries, even at low speeds. Some common injuries caused by bicycle accidents include the following:
- Broken bones;
- Nerve damage or injuries;
- Organ damage, particularly liver, spleen, or kidney lacerations or ruptures;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Deep lacerations leaving permanent scars;
- Torn muscles, tendons, or ligaments, including in the shoulder or knee;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Back injuries, particularly to the lower back (lumbar) or neck (cervical);
- Permanent disfigurement;
- Wrongful death; and
- Many other injuries.
Contact an Experienced Albuquerque Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an Albuquerque bicycle accident, call the experienced Albuquerque bicycle accident attorneys at the Mark Caruso today by dialing (505) 883-5000 You can also contact us on our website through the easy to use and convenient Contact box located by clicking here.