Most Common Broken Bones from Albuquerque Big Rig Crash: Albuquerque Trucking Accident Lawyer Discusses
An Albuquerque big rig crash can result in very significant injuries which can easily cause broken bones and fractured bones. This is because 18 wheelers like semi tractor trailers and box trucks are very heavy and moving very fast which generates a lot of force and momentum. This is particularly true on fast-moving highways and interstates, like I-40, I-25, and I-10 in New Mexico. One of the most common injuries our Albuquerque trucking accident lawyer handles are broken bones or fractured bones. There are many possible fractures which could occur, but this post explores some of the most common fractures which are somewhat unique to trucking wrecks due to the shear size and force of these vehicles.
Types of Broken Bones
All bones do not break evenly. There are several types of broken bones which could occur due to a trucking an Albuquerque big rig crash. These include the following types:
- Stable fracture/non-displaced fracture - this is when the bone breaks but stays in place;
- Open fracture/compound fracture - this is when the bone breaks through the skin and the ends of the bone do not line up together;
- Transverse fracture - this is a horizontal fracture line through the bone;
- Oblique fracture - this is a fracture that has an angled pattern like up and down triangles, or similar crunched patterns;
- Comminuted fracture - this is a fracture where the bone is broken in several pieces, like the bone has been shattered;
- Compression fracture - this is when the bone has been crushed into itself, common for vertebra; and
- Other types of fracture that may be less common, like latent fractures.
Common Fractures and Broken Bones due to 18 Wheeler Wrecks
Given the large size and heavy weight, 18 wheelers can cause serious personal injuries and commonly broken bones. Some of the most commonly featured bones include the following:
- Arm fractures also called humeral fractures;
- Leg fractures also known as femur fractures or tib/fib fractures;
- Pelvic fractures;
- Hip fractures;
- Wrist fractures also of the radius and ulna;
- Vertebra fractures, including compression fractures;
- Skull fractures, most commonly orbital blowout fractures;
- Rib fratures;
- Sternum fractures; and
- Many other serious fractures.
Many of these types of fractures are either comminuted fractures which are when the bone breaks into many pieces. This is because of the shear force of the impact between an 18 wheeler and anything else that it hits. There are also compression fractures which are common to the spine or vertebra, which is when the force of the impact literally compresses the bone into itself.
Did You Suffer Broken Bones or a Fracture in an Albuquerque Big Rig Crash? We Offer FREE Case Evaluations
If you or a loved one suffered broken bones or fractured bones in an Albuquerque big rig crash, please schedule a FREE appointment with our experienced Albuquerque trucking accident lawyer to learn what compensation you may be entitled to for your injuries. Such compensation may include money for pain and suffering, medical bills, surgeries, doctor's visits, physical therapy, lost wages, lost earnings, and other expenses. Call the NM Truck Accident Attorneys by dialing (505) 883-5000 to learn how we can help. You can also contact us on our website through the easy to use and convenient Contact box located by clicking here.